UPDATE: THANK YOU, SIXT. Thank you for responding to my email and helping me with my query. You have no idea how much I appreciate your help. Thank you!
I’ve changed my rating from 1 star to 5 stars.
1) you’ll get asked several questions and the SIXT employee (whose English was broken at best) ticks some boxes on the computer - BUT YOU WILL NOT SEE WHAT THEY TICKED AND WHAT NOT _ INSTEAD you will be asked for your signature. DO NOT SIGN BEFORE YOU SEE THE DOCUMENT!
2) Make a photo of The Petrol Meter/ Fuel Indicator before you hand the car over. Since no one starts work before a noon on a Sunday, you’ll be asked to drop the key into a box at the SIXT counter. NOTA BENE: at checkin we specifically said that we will bring back the car fully fuelled (after we found out that it would cost us in excess of EUR 70+ if they did it instead of us). We even emailed the invoice from the petrol station - Still they charged us for Fuelling and Service Fuelling: EUR 57.13.
3) They like to add Costs that we had not and do not agree to: - EUR 54.33 Premium Location Fee.
4) They added another day EUR 25.10. Due to the fuel shortage many petrol stations were closed (but we still found one) - the 10 minutes that we were late in returning the key into the box, they chose to bill us for an extra day. Given the fact that their offices only open at noon/lunch time on Sundays and we returned the key shortly after 08:30am begs the question why any company would that and charge for an extra day??? Surely and Certainly the car couldn’t have been given to any customer - CLOSED OFFICE AND ALL !!
5) Rentalcars.com (who seems to be the referrer for SIXT via Booking.com) response you’ll get if any is sort of ‘bad luck’. You signed this - too bad for you! And even if you write to them, it’ll be crickets after that. You can chase them, send them evidence - no matter what you do, you won’t hear from them again.
6) In my whole life I’ve never experienced such atrocious “””customer service”””
7) we book this car on Booking.com in good faith, even after they or their associate (Rentscape) majorly screwed up. Originally our car would’ve cost us EUR 150 less but booking.com’s partner Rentscape did not have the car we originally booked available. So Booking.com’s agent ‘offered’ us 15% off which still left us with EUR 100 more to pay.
8) so then we were left with SIXT, paying EUR 100 more and then being charged another EUR 136.56.
9) We got the car in on 12th March after 2pm, returned it on 20th shortly after 8:30am - we booked a Peugeot 308 or similar, got an Opel Corsa and paid in total: over EUR 510 for a tiny car.
In conclusion: I cannot recommend hiring a car here. Nor booking one via the above.
Avoid having the headache and spending time on a cause where no one responds to you but is happy to take your money.